Some of us really are smart, but many of us have to fake it. Faking it just got easier thanks to a book from the editors of the American Heritage Dictionaries called 100 Words to Make You Sound Smart. Here are the top 5 words:
- Acrimony (noun): rancor, bitterness, hostility, ill will
- Dichotomy (noun): division into two contradictory or exclusive entities; something with two contradictory qualities
- Equivocate (verb): prevaricate, beat around the bush, vacillate
- Esoteric (adjective): obscure, mysterious, cryptic, arcane
- Euphemism (noun): inoffensive or agreeable substitute for an expression that may be distasteful or offensive
We suggest you get out there and point out an obvious dichotomy in the euphemism that is your work place. Please equivocate while you do it and impress your co-workers. Have a real nice day with very little acrimony.