There's new research out that reveals the following daily habits are aging you:
- Applying products in a downward motion. "Pulling down on the skin while washing your face or applying moisturizer can cause wrinkles, especially around the eyes, where skin is thinner," says Dr. Dendy Engelman, a consulting dermatologist for Clearasil.
- Sipping from a straw. Engelman says when you sip from a straw regularly, it strains the skin, causing smile lines to form or deepen.
- Not wearing sunscreen. Try applying at least 30 SPF when you wake up, so it becomes part of your daily healthy skin regimen.
- Over cleansing. Squeaky-clean skin might feel nice, but it has no place in an anti-aging routine. Water and harsh ingredients in some cleanser strip skin of the natural oils that keep it supple.
- Slouching. Looking down for prolonged periods of time while texting or reading may cause or worsen the same damage. Mom was right. Stand up straight.
- Skipping workouts. The American Heart Association recommends a minimum of 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity at least five days a week, or at least 25 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity at least three days a week.