Men's Health magazine has released its list of "7 Simple Ways to Eat Less":
- "Grin Yourself Thin": To maintain healthy weight, do something to make yourself smile. Scientists say serotonin, the "happy hormone," reduces appetite, and higher levels of it make you burn fat.
- "Crack Some Nuts" (from an Eastern Illinois Unversity study) Nuts are good for you.
- "Put a Fork In It": Put a fork in your non-dominant hand. You'll be more mindful of what you're eating.
- "Use a Cheat Plate": With a Portion Plate you see partitions for meat (a quarter of the plate), whole grains (another quarter), and fruits and vegetables (half the plate), along with pictures of food in the proper serving sizes to guide you.
- "Add Bison to Your Protein Herd": Grill up a 3-ounce buffalo steak every now and then. It only has 148 calories and 4 grams of fat. Plus, the 26 grams of lean protein in the bison steak can keep you satisfied enough to decline dessert.
- "Be an Early Bird": Late risers not only eat more calories (almost 200 more at dinner and another 375 after 8pm) but also eat more unhealthily than those who wake up around 8am, according to a Northwestern University study.
- "Eat with a Woman": Men consume 37% less when they eat with a wife or girlfriend than when they dine out with buddies, according to researchers at the State University of New York at Buffalo.