Researchers at Baylor have come up with a list of five big personality traits related to job performance:
- Neuroticism: A tendency to experience unpleasant emotions, such as anxiety, anger or depression.
- Extroversion: Energy and the tendency to seek stimulation and the company of others.
- Agreeableness: A tendency to be compassionate and cooperative rather than suspicious and antagonistic towards others.
- Conscientiousness: A tendency to show self-discipline, act dutifully and aim for achievement.
- Openness to experience: Appreciation for art, emotion, adventure and unusual ideas; imaginative and curious.
The study went on to state employers have long known employees who have integrity are also top performers. Now there is a related personality trait that is a unique predictor of outstanding job performance. That would be honesty-humility.
The more honest and humble employees are, the higher their job performance, as rated by their supervisors. Which of the above traits do you exhibit at work?