MADONNA: Her most outrageous moments on her 60th birthday
Madonna turns 60 today (Thursday), and she's clearly ready to put the "sex" in sexagenarian. Here are 10 of the most over-the-top moments from her three-plus decades in the public eye.
- Madonna shocked VMA audiences for the first time back in 1984, when she sang “Like a Virgin” in a wedding dress topped by a crucifix and writhing on the floor in a very sexual manner.
- Burning crosses and a black Jesus generated a lot of heat in her 1989 video for “Like a Prayer.” Pope John Paul the Second wasn’t a fan – he banned her from performing in Italy.
- While some people said “bra-vo!,” plenty of prudes expressed outrage that Madge took the stage on her 1990 tour wearing a cone-shaped bra that really showcased her … assets.
- Madonna greeted 1991 with a book called Sex – which was all about that. The book featured full-frontal nudes of her.
- Hindus joined the ranks of the offended in 1998 when she used their religious imagery in her sexually explicit performance of “Ray of Light” at that year’s VMA show.
- Madge steamed up the 2003 VMA ceremony with her most famous performance of all – the one where she locked lips AND tongues with both Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera.
- That Catholic background reared its head bigtime during her 2006 Confessions tour, which featured one set piece that showed her hanging on a crucifix onstage. One more demerit from the Vatican.
- The normally strict mom surprised her son Rocco by sliding into his Instagram messages back in 2014 to call him the n-word. She later apologized.
- The Material Mom hopped onstage during Drake’s set at Coachella in 2015 and gave him a long tongue kiss that took him by surprise. While Madge grinned, the much-younger rapper wiped his mouth and looked…disturbed.
- Speaking at the massive Women’s March in Washington, D.C. last January, Madonna said she’d had “an awful thought about blowing up the White House.” She later said she was speaking metaphorically, not literally.
Madonna facts on her birthday:
- The best-selling female recording artist of all time, according to the Guinness Book of World Records.
- She was a backup singer and dancer for "Born to Be Alive" hit-maker Patrick Hernandez on his 1979 world tour.
- Her third single for Sire Records, "Holiday," became her pop breakthrough.
- "Like a Virgin" was Madonna's first number-one.
- Her influential '80s look included lace tops, skirts over capri pants, fishnet stockings, crucifix jewelry and bracelets.
- She made her movie debut in 1985, playing a club singer in Vision Quest.
- Later in '85, her first starring role was in Desperately Seeking Susan.
- In 1996, her starring role in Evita earned her a Golden Globe award -- but not an Oscar.
- In 2012, she was the lead performer in the Super Bowl XLVI (46) Halftime Show.
- Madonna expects to release a new album later this year.
- Her given name is Madonna Louise Ciccone.