Joni Mitchell received a musical tribute Wednesday night on her 75th birthday.
Stars spanning multiple generations packed L.A.'s Dorothy Chandler Pavilion to perform songs written or inspired by the much loved composer.
- Norah Jones began the night with an elegant rendition of "Court and Spark."
- Seal offered his take on "Both Sides Now."
- Graham Nash performed "Our House," which he wrote for Mitchell when they were a couple in their late 20s. Adding to the intensity of the performance, a photo of the them together was projected on the big screen behind him.
- James Taylor sang "River" and "Woodstock," the latter featuring Seal on backup vocals.
- Chaka Khan delivered "Help Me" and noted that Mitchell had saved her life.
- Loudon Wainwright, Kris Kristofferson and Brandi Carlisle also performed Mitchell tunes.
The evening closed with an all-star finale of "Big Yellow Taxi." After a couple of minutes, a curtain rose, revealing Mitchell on stage, where she sang along and smiled, ending the night on an emotional peak.
A photo exhibit celebrating Joni 75th birthday will open at Morrison Hotel Galleries in New York, L.A. and Maui on November 16th. Ex-boyfriend Graham Nash is among the photographers.