David Lee Roth says we shouldn't hold our breath for a Van Halen tour anytime soon.
Dave says,"I don't know what's up with Eddie [Van Halen]. We've canceled two, three different tours now. And I hear all the same rumors that everybody else hears, but I haven't heard anything. I don't know that you'll be seeing classic Van Halen again, to the degree where I'm the face of it now. And you hear a little determination in tone that is respectful. It comes with a dignity here -- there's a tradition. But don't hold your breath."
Sources close to the band confirm that Eddie had a relapse of his mouth cancer, and it was reportedly touch and go for a while. But he's apparently doing better.
Van Halen, with Roth, last worked together in 2015. A spokesperson for Eddie was unavailable for comment.
Roth will be back to work next year with residencies at the House of Blues in Las Vegas in January and March.
Meanwhile, there is new Van Halen product on the way. On November 1st, Rhino will release The Japanese Singles 1978-1984. This seven-inch vinyl cigarette-style box set contains the 13 singles they released there, each in its own replica sleeve featuring the original artwork. It will be available on black vinyl and in a limited-edition version of 750 copies on red vinyl.
The original album version of each song is featured in this set, except for “Hot for Teacher,” which has a unique single edit that was issued exclusively in Japan, and the single edit versions of “(Oh) Pretty Woman” and “I’ll Wait.”
- "You Really Got Me” b/w “Atomic Punk”
- “Ain’t Talkin’ ’Bout Love” b/w “Runnin’ With the Devil”
- “On Fire” b/w “Jamie’s Cryin’”
- “Dance the Night Away” b/w “Spanish Fly”
- “Somebody Get Me a Doctor” b/w “Women in Love”
- “And the Cradle Will Rock” b/w “Could This Be Magic?”
- “Unchained” b/w “So This Is Love?”
- “(Oh) Pretty Woman” b/w “Happy Trails”
- “Dancing in the Street” b/w “The Full Bug”
- “Jump” b/w “House of Pain”
- “I’ll Wait” b/w “Girl Gone Bad”
- “Panama” b/w “Drop Dead Legs”
- “Hot for Teacher” b/w “Little Dreamer”