Billy Joel's 52nd Street was released 42 years ago this month and Long Island, New York's Newsday recently compiled a list of 42 Reasons to Love Billy.
52nd Street was Billy’s first #1 album and his only album to win an Album of the Year Grammy award.
The first reason they love Billy: "He's stayed on Long Island."
Here are some other tidbits from the list:
- His Madison Square Garden residency, going strong for six years. We can't wait for the shows to start again next year.
- He both closed the old Nassau Coliseum (arena) in 2015 and opened it (after a huge renovation) two years later.
- "We Didn't Start the Fire" is the best history lesson ever.
- He returned to Hicksville High School 50 years after his would-be graduating class received their diplomas, to speak.
- He thought Mike DelGuidice's tribute to him was so good that he put him in his band.
- He never opted for wearing a hairpiece.
- His 1986 duet with Ray Charles "Baby Grand"
[courtesy of Classic Hits Today]