Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' classic "The Tracks of My Tears" was just named the Greatest Motown Song ever by Rolling Stone.
Words on that soul classic: "The genius of Smokey Robinson, perfectly captured in three minutes. Only one songwriter could craft a heartbreak ballad as anguished as [this], and only one singer could wring so much emotion out of those high notes. And they were the same person. Every songwriter alive wanted to be Smokey in 1965, and songs like this are why."
Rolling Stone just compiled a list of Motown’s 100 biggest hits. Here’s a look at the remainder of the top 10 from the list:
- 2. The Temptations - "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone"
- 3. Marvin Gaye - "What's Going On"
- 4. Martha and the Vandellas - "Heat Wave"
- 5. Stevie Wonder - "Superstition"
- 6. The Temptations - "My Girl"
- 7. The Supremes - "You Keep Me Hangin' On"
- 8. The Jackson 5 - "I Want You Back"
- 9. Martha and the Vandellas - "Dancing in the Street"
- 10. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles - "The Tears of a Clown"
[Source: Classic Hits Today]