The Beatles' ‘Get Back’ documentary picked up five ‘Creative Arts Emmy Awards’ last Saturday at the annual ceremony in Los Angeles.
The 3-part, eight hour documentary series was awarded trophies for:
- Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series - Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono Lennon, Olivia Harrison and director Peter Jackson were among the seven winners of this award
- Outstanding Directing for a Documentary/Nonfiction Program
- Outstanding Picture Editing for a Nonfiction Program
- Outstanding Sound Editing for a Nonfiction or Reality Program (Single or Multi-Camera)
- Outstanding Sound Mixing For a Nonfiction or Reality Program (Single or Multi-Camera) - Giles Martin was one of the four winners of this award
Producer Giles Martin talked about being nominated for an Emmy Award for the documentary.
He said, "I knew it was got Get Back, but I wasn't sure what category or whatever. [My partner] Sam Okell should have been nominated as well. That's the only bad thing because he works just as hard as I, I just got all the credit. I was nominated for an Emmy in 2014 for something -- I had no idea I was. I feel so consistently surprised that I get employed for stuff. When I started I never thought I'd win Grammy Awards or be nominated for Emmys or anything like that. Are you kidding? That's honestly how I feel. And so I'm just happy to be in work and doing stuff."
While accepting his award, director Peter Jackson said, "[A] big shout out to the Beatles. Thank you so much for the over 60 years of your positive, exuberant, joyous… Your music is so profound and I think it’s actually embedded in our DNA."
Giles Martin was only 8 years old when director Michael Lindsay-Hogg made the original Let It Be film. Martin said, “And for reasons I don’t quite understand, 50 years later the Beatles entrusted me to take the footage and make a film. But to be a tiny part of the Beatles’ story was a dream come true for that eight-year-old kid.”
Peter Jackson is currently in talks about working together on another project.
[Source: Classic Hits Today]