Journey reunited with original keyboardist and singer Gregg Rolie last Wednesday night during a 50th anniversary tour show in Austin.
Journey guitarist Neal Schon had lobbied for the reunion with Rollie, but according to Neal’s wife Michaele, singer Arnel Pineda and keyboardist Jonathan Cain were against Rolie joining them. Schon has promised a “surprise” for fans at the show.
Neal let fans in on the surprise during the concert when he said, "We have an extra special set tonight, so when we go offstage at the end of the show, don't leave."
When the returned for the encore, Rolie, who lives in that area of Central Texas, joined the band, and told the audience, "I just wanna say: 50 years? 50 years of one band going through changes, but it's like a runaway freight train that just keeps going with no brakes." Rollie performed six songs with the band.
- "Just the Same Way" - from 1979's Evolution
- "Of a Lifetime" - the first track off their 1975 self-titled debut album
- "Feeling That Way" - off of 1978's Infinity
- "Anytime" - also off Infinity
- "Black Magic Woman" - from Rolie's time in Santana -- they were joined by Steve Lukather from their opening act, Toto
- "Any Way You Want It" - from Journey's last album with Rolie, 1980's Departure
Rolie later tweeted about his appearance and shared a short clip of "Feeling That Way."
Get more Journey on iHeartRadio, keyword Journey.
[Source: Classic Hits Today]