A CBS drama is having some very real-life consequences.
An upcoming episode of CBS’ Madam Secretary depicts a president of the Philippines, and the powers that be do not want anyone to tune in.
- In the trailer for “Break In Diplomacy,” scheduled to air March 12th, the Secretary of State (played by Tea Leoni) is seen punching the fictional Philippine president after he makes a pass at her.
- The Philippine embassy did not take kindly to the depiction, releasing a statement that reads: “While Madam Secretary is a work of fiction, it tracks and mirrors current events. It is, therefore, inevitable that its depiction of world leaders will have an impact on how its audience views the real personages and the countries they represent.”
- At a press conference in the Philippines, a spokesperson for the island nation’s president Rodrigo Duterte, said: “I think they’re projecting something that they really would like to say about their own situation. Really, I think they should use a fictional U.S. president.”
- Duterte has been widely condemned for his deadly crackdown on drugs, prompting the U.S. to nix an aid package for the country.
- He has also been criticized for claiming he “personally” killed criminals while serving as city mayor.
CHECK IT OUT:
Watch the Trailer for Madam Secretary: