NILE RODGERS: Happy 65th birthday
Nile Rodgers turns 65 today.
- The guitarist and producer's first success was playing on New York City's soul-pop hit "I'm Doing Fine Now."
- He and bass player Bernard Edwards formed The Big Apple Band, which evolved into Chic.
- They branched out into producing, scoring a huge hit with Sister Sledge on "We Are Family."
- Nile also produced David Bowie's "Let's Dance," Diana Ross's "Upside Down" and The B-52's "Love Shack."
- He recently survived prostate cancer.
- While Chic fell short after numerous Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominations, Nile was inducted in the producer-songwriter category this year.