Prince passed away five years ago today, on April 21, 2016.We’re taking a look back at the career of this legendary performer, songwriter and musical innovator.
Here’s an overview of several of Prince’s major career highlights:
- He had 19 Top 10 hits and five number #1 hits: "When Doves Cry," "Let's Go Crazy," "Kiss," "Batdance" and "Cream"
- Prince had 16 Top 10 albums and four #1 albums: Purple Rain, Around the World In a Day, Batman and 3121.
- Prince won an Oscar for Best Original Song Score for Purple Rain.
- Prince was a 7-time Grammy winner.
- He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004.
- Prince had a memorable Super Bowl halftime show back in 2007.
Prince Rogers Nelson was born on June 7, 1958.He was born into a family with a rich musical legacy. Prince’s father was an accomplished pianist and songwriter. His mother was a noted jazz vocalist. .
Prince first broke on the scene in 1979 with a self-titled album and a top-15 hit, “I Wanna Be Your Lover. ”His major breakthrough came in 1982 when he released the double-LP ‘1999’ featuring the title track along with classic like “Little Red Corvette” and “Delirious.” That album made him a household name with his backing back The Revolution.
Few artists have had the influence and enduring popularity that Prince had. His classics continue to stand the test of time decades later.
[Source: Classic Hits Today]